Before your move, it’s important to file a change of address form with the United States Postal Service (USPS), so your mail is forwarded to your new residence. This simple online form takes just a minute or two to complete and saves you from the major headaches of lost mail.
How to File a USPS Change of Address
You may file a change of address form either in person at the post office or quickly and easily online:
- Open a browser and navigate to https://moversguide.usps.com. This is the official online change of address form for the USPS.
- The first tab will ask for basic information about your move; start by selecting whether your move is permanent or temporary. Most people moving residences or offices should select the permanent option.
- Next, select your move date. You can pick a date up to three months in the future, and mail should arrive at your new address within 2 weeks of your selected move date.
- Then, choose whether you’re an individual, family, or business. Note, if not everyone in your household shares the same last name, you’ll each need to fill out the form for “individual.”
- On the next tab, enter your name, email address, and phone number. Then enter the old address and new address.
- USPS also offers an “Informed Delivery” option that allows for you to receive scanned images of mail received and the status of packages before they are delivered. Check the box if you’d like to enable this handy service.
- Next, the USPS will run an identity check to ensure it’s really you. To do so, they submit a charge for $1.05 to your credit card. The billing address on this card must match your old address, so be sure to do this before notifying your financial institution of your new address.
- Once you enter all the necessary information, you’ll have the opportunity to access offers from USPS and MYMOVE home services partners like wayfair.com, COX, ADT, AT&T, Overstock, and Citizens Bank.
- Finally, confirm your order, and the postal service will process your request! Now you’re all set to start packing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does the USPS Forward Mail?
The USPS temporarily forwards mail for anywhere from two weeks to six months. You can file an extension for up to twelve months total.
How Long Does a Change of Address Take?
Filing a USPS form online takes just a couple of minutes and doesn’t require you to go to the post office in person.
What are the Post Office Moving Coupons?
The USPS’ partner, MYMOVE, has relationships with several home and financial service companies, as well as retail brands. When you file an online change of address request, you automatically get access to these moving coupons. Now, as you settle into your new home, you can score big savings on things like new furnishings from wayfair.com or home improvement supplies from Lowe’s.
Mail Forwarding vs. Change of Address
Filing a change of address form authorizes the post office to initiate mail forwarding on your behalf. The postal service will forward your mail to a new address for up to a year.
Looking for reliable long distance moving companies you can trust for your next move? We’ve got you covered with the best fully licensed and insured movers to help you make this the easiest move you’ve ever made. Get prices and info at greatguyslongdistancemovers.com